Names (and other subjects)

Nigel Venters venters at iinteralpha.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 07:36:26 EDT 1999

Michael Gochfeld <gochfeld at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote in article
<990613044543.ZM3606 at Gochfeld>...
> According to Paul Opler's BUTTERFLIES EAST OF THE GREAT PLAINS,
> Heliconius "is derived from Helicon, a mountain in Bocotia devoted to
> Appolon and the muses."  charitonius "is derived from Charities, the
> three graces or goddesses of beauty."  I see no indication that this
> would refer to a stripy or "zebroid" creature.

OK, you see no indication that this would refer to a stripy or "zebroid"
creature. But why should it? What am I to determine about you using the
name Michael? (I assume this is the specific name and and Gochfeld is the
genus?)  As long as we all use the same it doesn't matter if a discoverer
of a new species calls it the "Great Spangled Turd" as a common name, it's
the scientific name that counts and you, sitting in your armchair while
others go to some trouble to find new species should have no input to the
process. (If you don't spend your time in an armchair apologies but get out
and find your own new species!)
Nigel