Batting 40% on New Field Guide Errors

Nigel Venters venters at iinteralpha.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 10:12:26 EDT 1999

Well what do you know? I thought a field guide was to guide and not present
a guessing game to the reader..... I quote from Paul Opler....

>> I agree that chrysomelas usually has a black border but this specimen
didn't.

Now wouldn't you think that you'd show a normal representative of this
species in a field guide! Or I am I missing something here?

Next time I'm short of a description I'll show a pic of an African Elephant
and say...well...... imagine this without it's trunk and four legs... a lot
smaller and with yellow wings.....and Oh yes it's a butterfly!
Nigel