NOT the collecting debate :-)

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Mon Jun 21 14:33:00 EDT 1999

Don't forget us inept zoo-keepers. I kept my little victims in jamjars
and fed them inappropriately until they passed to the great beyond.
My children also were inveterate critter-keepers,with better success (I
did some research) although I did take up taxidermy so that some of
their roadside finds might be kept.
Some of these (a kestrel, a barred owl and such) were handed on to a
museum. Possession of any of this stuff except the bugs is against the
law in Florida now, I think ... that troubles me, for how will a child
come to love snakes unless he can keep snakes?
And where will your museum keepers come from, if we can't pick up so
much as a feather without breaking federal laws?
Meanwhile it's perfectly fine to bulldoze the forest where the bird
might have nested ... I'm going out back and stick straws in my hair;
perhaps that will help.
Of course children need to keep bugs in jars, collect insects (who cares
if they're butterflies or moths or cockroaches) etc. in order to develop
their lively sense of curiosity.
Do they get to collect butterflies because they're pretty? Is it OK to
make coffee tables with butterflies under glass? Is there a significant
difference between collecting farmed butterflies, butterflies caught in
"hunting preserves," or butterflies dancing about in untamed meadows?
Is a serious entomologist more valuable than (say) an artist inspired by
a butterfly he bought in a shop?
What about the second graders I visited, who had a couple of cages in
which they kept zebra longwings (Heliconius charitonius) until they
died; then they displayed them dead on the classroom wall. Is that going
to produce serious entomologists?

And I agree ... we don't hear anybody complaining about folks running
after moths with nets ... except the big showy moths that are honorary
butterflies anyway.
Meanwhile, apparently, if I want Palm Beach County to have any
butterflies in it on Paul Opler's nice web page, we need a voucher
collection of dead bugs somewhere. Otherwise we're a blank. sigh.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer