Mt. Baldy, CA 6/22

Kathleen Moon kmoon at ucla.edu
Wed Jun 23 14:16:53 EDT 1999

Paul Cherubini wrote:

> For those that don't know, Mt.Baldy is a 10,000 foot high mountain just
> north of Los Angeles. Mark, could you give us an idea of the altitude
> you were at when you made these neat sightings? Also, the slope face
> (i.e. were you on the south slope facing Los Angeles?)

Paul,

It is also the name of the town in the canyon at the base of the
mountain.  The mountain, whose formal name and the only one recognized
by the USGS' GNIS (Geographic Names Information System) is Mount San
Antonio, tops out at 10089 feet, and the town is pegged at 4200 feet
elevation by the USGS' GNIS database.  Don't get me wrong: I agree that
the name Mount Baldy has been around probably longer than the USGS has,
but then what do you expect when you deal with a bureaucratic agency?  I
will tell them of the situation, although it is probably in the list of
alternate names, those that are "commonly accepted" but not the *one*
shown on the map.