NOT the collecting debate :-)

Steve Law steve at solitary-sound.com
Mon Jun 28 22:45:47 EDT 1999

In article <45F8A30CE009D2118F850000F805064D8FE45D at hqmail.gensym.com>,
MWalker at gensym.com wrote:

> Well, while I wouldn't claim to be a professional entomologist, I know that
> I take few things as serious as I do my passion for insects.  There is no
> question in my case that all of this was stimulated and nurtured by my
> fascination with insects as a young child.  Before I was 11 years old, I had
> established an impressive collection of insects from two continents that
> were all personally netted/captured.  The neighborhood kids would all bring
> stuff to me for identification, and biology teachers would have me come in
> for presentations.  Several friends and I established a bug club, and we all
> anticipated the other's return following summer vacations.  Interestingly, I
> knew few people who were more concerned about the well being of insects in
> general (although "bug murderer" was as common a label then as it is today).
>

> Between the ages of 14 and 34, I was completely divorced from the hobby.
> Entomology wasn't very cool, and in 1973, cool was all I wanted to be.
> Instead, I grew my hair long and joined a rock and roll band.  Entomology
> wasn't very promising economically, either, but I wasn't thinking about that
> so much then anyway.  When I rediscovered it, it was like my lost calling.
> I can't put into words how much peace and joy I've received since taking it
> up again (about 5 years ago).  You know when you are doing just exactly what
> you're supposed to be doing.  I wouldn't have this joy today, if not for the
> exploits driven by childhood inquisition and curiosity (and empty fields and
> wide open spaces).

 This reminds me very much of my history with butterflies. I was
introduced to butterflies at the age of four, when my parents bought me a
small pictorial book on Australian butterflies. From then on, I was
hooked. I developed a nice collection of butterflies over the proceeding
years, and my interest in butterflies led on to a keen interest in many
other areas of natural history, AND in conservation.
 I too lost interest in my early teens however (for various reasons), and
became obsessively interested in music, and also ended up in a band. I'm
no longer in a band, but music production is still a love of mine, and is
now my sole source of income. I am now 32, and renewed my passion for
butterflies about 7 years ago after a trip to the tropical north of
Australia. It was the first time I had been to the far north of my
country, and I finally was able to observe all those lovely tropical
species that I dreampt about as a kid. I have been collecting butterflies
again from that moment on.
 I guess my point is that I would not be contributing to this newsgroup if
I had not been introduced to butterfly collecting as a child. I think it
would be a very sad day when children of the future (or the present) are
prevented or discouraged from doing the same.