California Sisters life cycle

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 29 11:19:04 EDT 1999

Laurel,
  Good news. Thanks for letting me know.
  My butterfly garden has produced a good crop of
*Heraclides cresphontes* - GIANT SWALLOWTAIL on RUE,
*Agraulis vanillae incarnata* - WESTERN GULF FRITILLARY on an undetermined
*Passiflora*,
*Asterocampa clyton texana* - TEXAN TAWNY EMPRESS on SUGARBERRY, and
*Calpodes ethlius* - CANNA/BRAZILIAN SKIPPER on CANNA.
  A pale green conehead pupa on JOHNSON GRASS turned out to be *Lerema
accius* - CLOUDED SKIPPER.
  Many more species have been seen passing through. Good nectar sources
have been *Lantana camara*, *Lantana horrida*, MEXICAN BLUE SAGE, SMALL RED
SAGE, *Penta*, but the best has been a large 7-year-old high bush VERVAIN
with tiny flowers, which I have been told is a noxious weed introduced from
Uruguay. Does anyone have information on this?
  We are now quite hot here but still have rain weekly so the July count
should be exceptional.