NABA and butterfly watching

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Jun 30 19:32:54 EDT 1999

Just for the record, I have been using the freezer for years now and I swear
by it.  A cooler in the field can guarantee that you can get your specimens
back home alive and, if desired, into the freezer.  Actually, my
understanding is that pinching the thorax is not usually fatal, but is
intended to only paralyze (prevent from flying).  I haven't mastered this
technique, but those I know who have are very good indeed.  They tend to
know how to handle butterflies with their hands, and can quickly decide
whether a particular specimen is a keeper.  It's a good thing, too, because
this technique does not allow one to discriminate and release.

Mark Walker.