more species on the wing

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Mon Mar 1 03:45:41 EST 1999

Well now, it's warming up again here in Hong Kong, so the butterflies
have started to become more visible again.
Yesterday's tally, observed whilst playing cricket on Hong Kong Island,
was as follows:
Nymphalidae
  Euploea core (Common Crow) - Danainae; 2
  Junonia lemonias (Lemon Pansy) - Nymphalinae; 1
Papilionidae
  Papilio protenor (Dark Mormon); 1
  P. polytes (Common Mormon); 4
  P. demoleus (Lime Butterfly); 3
Pieridae
  Pieris (Artogeia) canidia (Common White); stopped counting after
several dozen.
Lycaenidae
  Zizeeria maha (Pale Grass Blue) - Polyommatinae; 4

Most of these species are illustrated on the Hong Kong Lepidoptera
Group's website (http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/)

Moth numbers are already through the roof, with over 100 species listed
at light several nights ago. I'm beginning to think that I'll be
recording atlas moths very soon (normally appear in April).
I'm wondering if there are lots of other species being recorded earlier
than "normal" elsewhere in the northern hemisphere?!

regards (and happy lep watching)

Roger.