Banana Waspmoth

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Mon Mar 1 04:36:12 EST 1999

Doug Yanega wrote:

> >Can anyone provide the name for and possibly point to any images available
> >of the little dark Syntomid moth with the dark metalic green HW bases that
> >regularly shows up on imported bananas here the the frigid north ?
>
> I think there's more than one, and they're in the genus Antichloris. The
> name "syntomid" is archaic, incidentally. They're Arctiids, subfamily
> Ctenuchinae.

Syntominae is not really archaic, it simply concerns an Old World
Arctiid subfamily (genera Syntomis, Dysauxes). Till recently,
Syntominae and Ctenuchinae were considered as synonyms, but
these groups are not related and now Ctenuchinae is restricted
to New World moths.

You may find an image of Antichloris at:
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/arctiid/texteng/a_toddie.htm
although it is not your banana species of course.

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/