Banana Waspmoth

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Tue Mar 2 05:09:52 EST 1999

Doug Yanega wrote:

>Who published this revision that separated Syntomines from Ctenuchines??
>
>Thanks for the update,

Well, I opened in front of me the new Kristensen's book,
and it seems that the situation is a little bit more complicated.

I.J. Kitching and J.E. Rawlins, 1999. The Noctuoidea in N.P. Kristensen
(ed.),
Handbook of Zoology, Vol IV, Arthropoda, Insecta, Part 35 Lepidoptera,
Moths and Butterflies, Vol 1: Evolution, Systematics and Biogeography,
pp. 356-401.

The status of taxonomic groups in Arctiidae is summarized in this book
as the result of recent cladistic studies by several authors, especially
Holloway in 'The Moths of Borneo'. I think that the actual structure
of the family may be attributed to Kitching and Rawlins reference.

Family Arctiidae (monophyletic)

Subfamilies:
        -Lithosiinae (monophyletic but many genera have to be placed in
other subfamilies)
        -Syntominae (monophyletic)
        -Arctiinae (monophyletic ?)

Tribes:
        -Syntominae:
                -Syntomini
                -Thyretini

        -Arctiinae
                -Arctiini
                -Ctenuchini (paraphyletic)
                -Euchromiini (paraphyletic)
                -Pericopini (paraphyletic)
                -Phaegopterini (paraphyletic)
                -Callimorphini
                -Nyctemerini
                -Utetheisini

Note that the Old World Euchromiini have been previously treated as
tribe of
'Ctenuchinae' by several authors, including Holloway, but I'm not
certain that
all Ctenuchini as described above are from the New World.

Nevertheless, the arrangement of Arctiinae remains artificial, with many
paraphyletic groups. We must expect other changes soon.

Have a good day,

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/