Moths of the Limberlost

Sheri Moreau sheri at butterflywings.com
Thu Mar 4 18:02:20 EST 1999

Well, I just Searched for Gene Stratton-Porter, and went thru the Indiana
State Historical website on her. Couple of broken links, most notably the
biography of the author/artist. Also, the museum shop is closed until May.
I was stunned to see that The Moths of the Limberlost was only $39.95!!! I
did a nationwide book search for the book less than a year ago, and got
prices ranging from $150 to $350 depending on printing and condition.

So, I went to Amazon.com, and the book is available there (obviously a
reprint) for only $25.95. Unfortunately, the drawings and photos are
missing, as noted in this partial review from the Amazon.com site:

"Gene Stratton-Porter, 1863-1924, was a naturalist, photographer, and
writer. This book is derived from her "Moths of the Limberlost, with water
color and photographic illustrations from life" published in 1912 by
Doubleday, Page, and
 company. This brings me to my one objection to the book. It has no
pictures! The original book contains 106 of her photographs including 20
that were hand colored. The pictures include moths, their eggs,
caterpillars, cocoons, and
 pupa cases, along with pictures of their food plants and the environment
in which they are found. While photography of her day did not produce
nature pictures of the quality we expect today, they are, never-the-less,
an integral part of the work. I was very disappointed to find them missing.
On a minor note, five verses quoted in the original book are not in this
one. Otherwise, the text does appear to be intact except perhaps for a few
references to illustrations." reviewed by Ken from Concord, California USA

So, I'm still in search of a "real" version of the book, sigh.

Sheri
Sheri Moreau
The Butterfly Conservancy, Carmel, California <www.butterflywings.com>
email: <sheri at butterflywings.com>