Breeding butterflies as a hobby - UK

Matthew Smith MatSmith1 at compuserve.com
Fri Mar 5 16:14:16 EST 1999

Message text written by INTERNET:Mike.Tough at tesco.net
>Some time ago (1970's) I had a hobby of breeding a wide range of
butterflies
and moths. As well as locally collected specimens, I used to send away to a
UK company (Worldwide Butterflies - I think) for eggs/pupae of more exotic
species.
<

Worldwide Butterflies are still about at pretty much the same place and
they still advertise in the AES Bulletin, though they now have a web site.

Worldwide Butterflies
Sherbourne
Dorset
DT9 4QN

01935 454 608.   www.wwb.co.uk.

Apart from WWB, there dont seem to be as many as many mail order companies
for livestock as there used to be, however, over recent years there has
been an increase in the range of livestock available from smaller private
breeders at entomological exhibitions.  The Amateur Entomologists
Exhibition takes place in early Oct, for the last few years it has been
held at Kempton Park Racecourse in London.  They now have a childrens
section (the AES bug club) and you can get individual or family membership
More info at

www.theaes.org.

If you live within travelling range of Kettering, the spring Midlands
Entomological Fair (+ spiders and herps) takes place at Kettering Leisure
Village on 21st March.  Ther is ususally a good range of livestock
available.

Regards

Matt