Noctua pronuba - migration?

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Tue Mar 9 07:28:35 EST 1999

Hi Chip,

Nothing in the last 5 volumes of British Wildlife, nor in JBENHS.
Bretherton (1983) lists N.pronuba as an irregular but sometimes numerous migrant to Britain, where
it is also a resident species and Skinner (1984: p89) notes "The vast numbers that occasionally
and suddenly appear in southern England during high summer are presumed to be migrants."

Bretherton, R.F., 1983. The incidence of mirant Lepidoptera in the British Isles. pp 9-34 in
Heath, J. & Emmet, A.M., (eds.), The Moths and Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland. vol. 10.
Harley Books, Colchester, Essex, England.

Skinner, B., 1984. A Colour Identification Guide to the Moths of the British Isles
(Macrolepidoptera). Viking Press, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England.

best regards,

Roger.

Roger C. KENDRICK wrote:

> Try the chapter on migration by Bretherton in Heath & Emmet's Moths &
> Butterflies of Great Britian and Ireland. The journals "Atropos", the
> "Entomologists' Gazette" and the "Journal of the British Entomology & Natural
> History Society" all should contain references or articles on migrations to the
> U.K., noting N.pronuba. "British Wildlife" summaries of moth notes may also
> mention the topic. I'll look up details of the first and last of the above and
> post them this evening (approx 14:00 GMT).
>
> hope this helps,
>
> Roger.
>
> Chip Taylor wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me whether Noctua pronuba (Large yellow underwing) is a
> > migratory species and if so, where I can find a reference to this behavior.
> > Thanks.

--Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

mailing address:
  Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre, The University of Hong Kong
  Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong, Yuen Long, New Territories, HONG KONG

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidoptera Group webmaster (English version)
  http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/