moth question

Mike Soukup mikayak at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 14 20:33:08 EST 1999

A. styx is a Sphinx moth (family Sphingiidae).  There are three moths in this
genus.  All 3 are known as "Death's Head Sphinxes" - due to the percieved
"skull" pattern on the back of the thorax.  However, I think A. styx looks
more like a "Ku Klux Klan" sphinx as the pattern on the thorax reminds me of a
hooded figure.  A. styx ranges throughout China, India, Indonesia down into
the austrailian region.  Check out the photo and more info at Anthony
Pittaway's site at: http://hometown.aol.com/tpittaway/sphingid/list.htm

Good luck