UK Butterflies

Chris Raper triocomp at dial.pipex.com
Thu Mar 18 07:30:52 EST 1999

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 18:48:59 +0000, Mark Litjens <litjens at ibm.net>
wrote:

>What have UK people been seeing this week so far in the mini heat wave?

Yesterday I took the afternoon off work and went over to a couple of
reserves in South Oxfordshire. Male Brimstones and Peacocks seemed
pretty even in numbers and Commas were out in the more wooded areas.

I know it is slightly off topic but thre are also plenty of Queen
bumble-bees out there, though I only spotted B.terrestris and
B.hortorum-type (couldn't get close enough to confirm ID on the latter
though). Getting even more obscure, I have been looking out for Gall
Wasps lately and there appear to be huge numbers of Diastrophus rubi
emerging now around all the Bramble patches. :-)

Best wishes,
Chris R.