Checkerspot-E. San Diego Co.

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu Mar 18 19:21:26 EST 1999

Doug Yanega wrote:

> Neil Jones wrote:
>
> >It is a gorgeous creature and I sincerely hope that you will succed in
> >your efforts to conserve it. This thing of beauty should remain a joy for
> ever.
>
> Sadly, the general public opinion here seems to be negative, overall. The
> listing of insects, even pretty ones, sends even some avid conservation
> supporters into fits, and California has a LOT of things on their lists,
> making it increasingly harder for the real estate developers. The fact
> that
> the Quino and related listed subspecies happen to occur on land that is
> prime turf for people who want to have a house and commute to LA, etc.,
> makes this particular case increasingly contentious. Don't forget, this is
> the same area where the Delhi Sands Flower-loving Fly is listed, and that
> turned out to be a public relations nightmare, too - people around here
> *already* have a low opinion of endangered species listings. The Quino is
> recent listing, and the effects are evidently just now coming fully into
> public awareness. There was a piece on the local evening news a week or
> two
> ago where the developers got all their shots in, and the only comment from
> a biologist, when asked why the Quino should be saved, was "Because some
> things are worth saving." Not a very persuasive take-home message, and I
> doubt the conservation cause won any converts from that broadcast. If the
> conservation cause is perceived to be nothing more than naive, emotional,
> and obstructionist, it's probably only a matter of time before the
> backlash
> undoes much of what we've worked for.
>         Not trying to start another depressing thread, just making some
> observations prompted by this particular case.

	That's right - I forgot - welcome (back?) to California, Doug.
God's country };>)

	I heard something just last week about a planned development on Vail
Lake (or somewhere in Butterfield Country) that was halted on account of the
_Quino Checkerspot_.  I assume it is the same sub-species as the one that
used to fly off of Chapman Ave./Santiago Canyon in Orange County (and whose
habitat is now virtually covered with tract homes).

	While I was in Vermont, not only did this butterfly get put on the
endangered list, but they also built a marvelous new toll road that cuts
right across this once virgin landscape.  Well, marvelous for the commuters
from Riverside, but not so marvelous for the wildlife.  Just curious - was
the _Quino Checkerspot_ part of the debate over this toll road?

	Neil mentions on his website that the butterfly has been isolated to
a few colonies in San Diego (I assume these are the locations near Vista and
Fallbrook, where the butterfly used to be more common, but are now also
covered with new homes).  Aren't there still a few other colonies in Orange
and Riverside counties?

	Man, this really makes me sick.  It's one of the reasons I left L.A.
and moved to Vermont in the first place.  So what's the deal on this
butterfly - what is being done?

	Mark Walker.