Checkerspot-E. San Diego Co.

fred_heath at power-one.com fred_heath at power-one.com
Thu Mar 18 20:56:26 EST 1999

        Actually, the photo of the butterfly on Neil's website was taken in
     a Riverside Co. colony. Neil is from the UK so his California
     geography is a bit off and he was driven all over the place that
     weekend by Hank Brodkin and probably lost track of where he was.
        My understanding is that Rudi Mattoni has the contract with U. S.
     Fish and Wildlife to to study and present a recovery plan for this and
     the Two-banded "Laguna" Skipper (P. ruralis subsp?) of the Laguna and
     Palomar Mt of San Diego Co. Both (the butterflies, not the mountains)
     are now federally listed as Endangered .

                                                -----Fred

        Mark Walker wrote:

	Neil mentions on his website that the butterfly has been isolated to
a few colonies in San Diego (I assume these are the locations near Vista and
Fallbrook, where the butterfly used to be more common, but are now also
covered with new homes).  Aren't there still a few other colonies in Orange
and Riverside counties?

	Man, this really makes me sick.  It's one of the reasons I left L.A.
and moved to Vermont in the first place.  So what's the deal on this
butterfly - what is being done?