Mourning cloak (Nymphalis Antiopa) behavior and ecology

JOHN and SUE FLETCHER fletch at vaxxine.com
Fri Mar 19 07:48:13 EST 1999

 I'm from Southern Ontario and we have cooler weather but the cloaks I have
seen out in winter are always on warm calm sunny days.  around here they are
usually found tucked away in rough bark or inside wood piles.  Their
colouring is excellent camouflage and are all but impossible to locate.
Ihave followed a few during winter flights and have observed them puddling
but have not seen them feed.  I don't think there is much available to feed
on.  When they land on rough bark surface they are difficult to find even
when you know they are there.