butterfly race

Esther Cornelius JayAndEstherC at webtv.net
Tue Mar 23 14:33:47 EST 1999

Andrea: I've never heard of a butterfly race but here locally we have
the calavaras frog jump. It's designed around the nature of the frog, so
I'd imagine a butterly race would be something like a timed distance
with a balloon or something to standardize the relative wind speed. ie:
the time of the butterfly vs the time of the balloon. I suppose a number
of butterflies could be released at the same time but they would have to
be in a group so that the "course" would be equal, so they would need
markings & I wouldn't recommend that, because markings big enough to be
identified from the ground would interfere with their flight and/ or
chances of finding a boy/girl friend who shares their taste in clothing.
Do the balloon way. Weight a helium balloon so that it won't escape and
release it at the same time and distance above ground as the butterfly.
Time the flight faster or slower than the balloon. The best time wins.
Please let me know how it turns out.
Bill     JayandEstherC at webtv.net