Collecting Monarch larvae near to molting

Rev Chuck cdub at -REMOVE_THIS-erols.com
Thu Mar 25 04:39:17 EST 1999

Sheri Moreau wrote:

> Harlen,
>
> I pick up larvae that are near to molting all the time, almost every day,
> in fact. If you are gentle and VERY careful, it appears to have no adverse
> impact on them whatsoever (despite all the warnings I've read)...I have
> beautiful chrysalides right now! I prefer not to pick up ones whose head
> cases have fallen forward, but if it's necessary, I will do it.  I DON'T
> pick them up after they've molted until after they've eaten their discarded
> skin and their tentacles are back in the normal position. The other option
> is to cut out a segment of leaf around the larvae, and transfer the whole
> thing to a safe container.

They're at their most fragile when hatching from the chrysalis.  It's
impossible to touch them without maiming them.  For clipping leaf segments,
clip the whole leaf if possible.  Use a razor blade or sharp fingernail
clipper to avoid mechanical shock when cutting the stem.

> Better to be gently moved at a non-ideal time, then eaten by a
> mockingbird!! (Well, the mockingbirds would disagree with me, but throw
> them some peanuts, and you'll have a friend for life! I know a professor at
> the Naval Postgraduate School who used peanuts to train a Stellar's Jay to
> fly in his office window, sit on top of the computer monitor, and take
> peanuts from his fingers. The bird's been coming back for 5 years, often
> with his offspring in tow!)
>
> Sheri

For obvious reasons, Stellar's jays go by the nickname "camp robbers."
They have no fear of humans, particularly when said humans offer gifts
of food from outstretched hands.

--
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.