Reply to replies on my post

Charles Gavette timbukt2 at excite.com
Sun Mar 28 18:47:21 EST 1999

When I first seen the topic Melissa Virus, I felt that perhaps we were
continuing our discussion of lepidopteran diseases. Recently, only the
polyhedrosis virus has been mentioned, but this is a step in a more
interesting and specific direction to me, rather than what butterfly we saw
today. My post of the T'ang poetry was correctly placed. It engendered a
reaction from a fascist machine without vision. If not a violent swing
towards the fascist pole(the glorification of the incest taboo), we are
almost synchronously confronted with a paranoic machine(Melissa Virus). It's
ok to be concerned, yet nothing of significance happened in the year 1000,
except it be the prediction of the end of the world and the coming of god.
Hopefully, others on this list may have enjoyed some images within these
T'ang selections that carry a message. I keep forgetting I live in America,
where art and aesthetics are shunned. What follows is another poem that I
had thought I posted the first time. Synchronicity had singled it out to be
our sermon for today.  As someone remarked a few days ago about playing god
with what should be here, what should be there: yes, I agree....to an
extent:

                 Orchid And Orange II

Here, south of the Yangzi, grows a red orangetree.
All winter long its leaves are green,
Not because of a warmer soil,
But because its nature is used to the cold.
Though it might serve your honorable guests,
You leave it here, far below mountain and river.
Circumstance governs destiny.
Cause and effect are an infinite cycle.
You plant your peach-trees and your plums,
You forget the shade of this other tree.
                           Zhang Juiling

In Sicily, part of its folk tradition is wearing just a few more clothes
than necessary throughout the year. It was during the T'ang dynasty that
conservation measures for the earth were developed almost into a religion.
The sanctions at Mao Shan are an example. But that's enough, my altruism is
wearing thin. I wish to thank everyone on this list for allowing me to
excercise my curious affinity to a Hellenistic volunteerism.