A small black moth ? UK

Prichard,AW,NAR7 PRICHAA2 M tony.aw.prichard at bt.com
Mon Mar 29 09:22:54 EST 1999

Things which concerns me about the id as Diurnea fagella are
a)  the 1cm length mentioned in the description. This seems a bit short to
me from my recollections of the species, unless it was a female possibly.
b) I don't know that I would have described even a melanistic D. fagella as
resembling a beetle, but that's rather subjective.

The zebra striped legs seem to fit.

I see D. fagella frequently during the day at rest on oak tree trunks, it is
a common moth here in Suffolk. It is probably at the peak of its season at
the moment.

The colouring of the moth doesn't actually seem to give very good camouflage
and they can be readily spotted from quite a distance. Most of the ones I
spot are males. Females I have seen very infrequently. The females I have
seen have been in the process of climbing up the tree trunk. Plenty of males
too light but I have had no experience of any females turning up to light.

Sorry but I have no alternative to suggest.

Tony Prichard