Silkworm poop as cheese whitener?

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:33:52 EST 1999

The subject says it all. I got an urgent question a few minutes ago as to
whether it was true that silkworm feces, which is high in chlorophyll, was
used as a whitening agent during cheese manufacturing. This seems a little
too weird to be an urban myth, but I'd like to confirm it one way or the
other.

Doug "getting the hang of it" Yanega     Dept. of Entomology
Entomology Research Museum               Univ. of California
Riverside, CA 92521                       909-787-4315
            http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/
"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is
    the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick