Moths on the night of 1st/2nd May (UK)

Ian Thirlwell Ian at dunlinclose.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 4 14:30:46 EDT 1999

Ist May was pretty duff for me with just 4 Diaphora mendica in the trap.
(This has probably been the most common species in my trap this year.)
Trouble is I'm in a relatively open situation exposed to the east & with
recent easterly breezes & clear nights attracting moths is hard work. Night
of the 2nd/3rd was better but not brilliant:

Depressaria daucella 1
Agonopterix alstroemeriana 1
Platyedra subcinerea  4
Epiphyas postvittana 1
Gymnoscelis rufifasciata 2
Opisthograptis luteolata 3
Diaphora mendica 8
Xylocampa areola 1
Acronicta megacephala 3
Autographa gamma 1
Abrostola tripartita (triplasia as was) 1

Last night (3rd) I was down to 5 species, but one of them was a new record
for the trap: Coleophora albicosta.

I was hoping for better things tonight - mild & cloudy - but there's that
easterly again swirling around the garden.

Ian