Moths on the night of 1st/2nd May

John Worth johnworth at worth20.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 4 15:52:55 EDT 1999

Matthew Smith wrote in message
<199905031652_MC2-744F-BB20 at compuserve.com>...
>Message text written by INTERNET:tonymorris at easynet.co.uk
>>I caught the following at my MV trap. The Cinnabar was a surprise as I
>thought they were not out until the end of May. <
>
>It's very early as far as I can see looking at my records, but I did see a
>single adult in flight near the public tip in Reading yesterday (May 2nd).
>
>Matt

I thought I would take a look at the records for Cornwall.

A Cinnabar was reported for April 1974, unfortunately no actual day was
given.  The next is for 1st May 1979 and then the 3rd and 4th May 1990.

I do have a record for 25th February 1974, although I would like to have a
look at the original record to check that it has been entered correctly on
to the database.

We shouldn't be too surprised when moths appear early.  Trapping at Treborth
in north Wales in the early nineties we sometimes had moths turning up 4-6
weeks earlier than stated in Skinners

John