Butterfly Story

Victor Yue yuess at singnet.com.sg
Fri May 7 23:55:42 EDT 1999

Hi folks,
I received this story which is more meant for modern day human beings
struggling with modern life. But what struck me was the comparison
with the butterfly coming out of its pupa. Could anyone verify if this
descrption is true in the butterfly world? I am a novice butterfly
watcher.

Thanks

Cheers!

Victor
Singapore

***

 A man found a cocoon of a butterfly.  One day a small opening
appeared, he
 sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to
force
 its body through that little hole.  Then it seemed to stop making any
 progress.
 It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could and it could go no
 farther.  So the man decided to help the butterfly, he took a pair of
 scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.
 The butterfly then emerged easily.  But it had a swollen body and
small,
 shriveled wings.  The man continued to watch the butterfly because he
 expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to
be
 able to support the body, which would contract in time.
 Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life
 crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was
able
 to fly.
 What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that
the
 restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get
 through the tiny opening were nature's way of forcing fluid from the
body
 of the butterfly in to its wings so that it would be ready for flight
once
 it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.
 Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life.  If we went
 through our life without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would
not
 be as strong as what we could have been. And we could never fly.
 So have a nice day and struggle a little.
 When you are under pressure and stress, remember that you are a
better
 person after you have gone through it. If you give up, then you have
reach
 your limit. Is the limit what you want to achieve?