BUGS: Archiearis

Chris Schmidt bjorn at ualberta.ca
Sun May 9 16:54:54 EDT 1999

Daniel inquired about Archiaris infans, so I'll share what i know about
this critter. The common name is "The Infant", presumably because it is one
of the first Leps to emerge in the spring, even before the Spring Azures
are out. It's a member of the family Geometridae, the inch-worm moths.
There is only one other closely related species in Canada, Leucobrephos
brephoides. This species is also day-flying, but has white and black
hindwings.
A. infans feeds on birch as larvae, and is typical of the boreal forest and
foothills region (the Cypress Hills population is quite isolated from the
nearest boreal populations; the slight differences in markings and size of
specimens from here may be a result of this isolation).

Cheers,

Chris

Edmonton.