Crumpled wings from chrysalis

Andria & James Wood by way of botany@pop.flash.net Sharyn Fernandez archilochus at mindspring.com
Tue May 11 03:30:32 EDT 1999

Hi Andria & James

>  Sharyn mentioned something about a host plant... what is it for _V.
cardui_?

...I have most luck with Hollyhock and/or High Mallow (Malva sylvestris);
also you can use Lupine (Lupinus sp.)( Russell Hybrid, is OK; BlueBonnet is
better)

> Maybe she should start them off on that
 --- No wait till they get about 2 cm at least; and keep them at a moderate
temp.  I don't know how old (or how big they are) when Carolina sends them
to you, but if they're less than 1 cm, just leave them on their nutrient...

---Did I mention before that I use the potted 6-packs or 4inch nursery pots
?  - just get extras to trade off when they're defoliated; but don't throw
out, the plants regrow (maybe for future butterfly generations)!

Having the plants in boxes (with netted windows, covered with saran wrap)
will give them room to crawl up the sides to the ceiling to pupate when
they're about 2 weeks "old" (or about 3 cm big) - The kids can have fun
decorating their boxes, too. (I do!)

But as far as being more nutritious, I kinda think that nutrient stuff may
actually be better for them...as I said before, (I've left leaves in the
container with the nutrient and they don't eat the leaves, just the
nutrient!) don't leave the nutrient it out in the boxes,either-ants will
find it really fast!

Lastly, if you have a really big box, or a small tent, you could try for a
flight cage and encourage egg-laying - I've had surprising luck with Dwarf
Sunflower (Burpees has seeds), or more Hollyhock... Use Coneflower,
daisies, blackeyed susan, coreopsis or nectaring (as well as watermelon,
but again you're asking for ants!)

any way good luck - have fun!