[SoWestLep] Dearth Of Butterflies

Bruce Walsh jbwalsh at u.arizona.edu
Wed May 12 18:26:07 EDT 1999

Re:  Dearth of Butterflies in SE Arizona spots

Our weather has been very odd this year, a  good late fall
precipitation-wise, followed by almost four months of drought (0.02 inches total) during
our normal (2"-3") winter rains.  We then got snow in early April (thnak
god I was in Australia at the time!), killing off all those butterflies
that gambled on the warm weather.

Hence, not surprising that the vegetation looks good, but bugs are down.
Our savior is that the summer-fliers are much more Monsoon rainfall
dependent, so a good summer rain can bring things back to normal

Cheers

Bruce