BAA #6 - LRV

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon May 17 21:06:13 EDT 1999

Saturday, May 15

Today was a very windy and cloudy day in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, but
well into the 90's.  I managed to spend time in several locations, including
Port Isabel, Los Indios, Pharr, Los Ebanos, and Roma.  I am spending the
night in the fine town of Zapata (the original version of which was buried
underwater with the building of Falcon Dam).  The butterflying was
disappointing (not because of diversity, but on account of difficulty of
observing or catching as they blew past me), especially compared to last
weekend in Del Rio.  I did manage to enjoy spending time with a tortoise
that decided to go for a walk in my general vicinity.  As always, I managed
to find a few remote locations where I was alone with the flora and fauna.

The following butterflies were seen:

Battus philenor (Pipevine Swallowtail) -very common
Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail) - common
Colias cesonia (Southern Dogface)
Phoebis sennae (Cloudless Sulpher)
Phoebis philea (Orange-barred Sulpher)
Phoebis agarithe (Large Orange Sulpher)
Kricognia lyside (Lyside Sulpher) - very common
Eurema daira (Barred Yellow)
Eurema boisduvaliana (Boisduval's Yellow)
Eurema lisa (Little Yellow)
Eurema nicippe (Sleepy Orange)
Nathalis iole (Dainty Sulpher)
Strymon columella (Mallow Scrub Hairstreak)
Brephidium exile (Western Pygmy Blue)
Hemiargus ceraunus (Ceraunus Blue) - common
Calephelis nemesis (Fatal Metalmark) - common
Libytheana carinenta (American Snout)
Agraulis vanillae (Gulf Fritillary)
Euptoieta claudia (Variegated Fritillary) - common
Chlosyne lacinia (Bordered Patch)
Phyciodes texana (Texan Crescentspot)
Phyciodes vesta (Vesta Crescentspot)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Junonia coenia (Common Buckeye)
Asterocampa leilia (Empress Leilia)
Urbanus procne (Brown Longtail, I assume)
Copaeodes sp? (Some skipperling)
Pyrgus communis (Common Checkered Skipper)
Pyrgus oileus (Tropical Checkered Skipper)

Tomorrow I'm driving to Laredo, and then back to Houston.

Mark Walker
Still in Texas