Butterfly popularity

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca
Thu May 20 17:22:26 EDT 1999

Here is my take on this: People are primarily visual organisms. Advertisers
know this so of course they will always be looking for visual attractants to
draw our attention to products and services.  Butterflies not only provide
the visual attractant but I suspect that in most peoples minds they conjure
up adjunct "warm fuzzies" of say for example a pleasant summer day in the
sun full of serenity and harmless creatures in the environment. Imagine the
opposite - trying to project a positive image into peoples minds by showing
(along with your product) an enraged sow grizzly charging at you on a wet,
cloudy steep mountainside. No warm fuzzies there.  Butterflies are such
pleasant, harmless, easy going creatures that it is easy to see why they
should endure themselves to the human spirit on purely emotional grounds.
Why this year ? I dunno, maybe it has to do with need for diversity from
past attractants and the fact that butterflies have not only been getting a
lot of books written about them in recent years but also increased media
attention.