How Healthy Were the Cornell Study Monarch Caterpillars?

Stelenes at aol.com Stelenes at aol.com
Sat May 22 23:55:30 EDT 1999

Good point, Paul, but while you are on your roll, please consider most of us
who have reared (Are they not REARERS rather than breeders as you have
labeled them?...Breeders implies a selection process to me, or at minimum
going through multiple generations) can relate to the difficulties of this
process of obtaining good stock consistently.

Now for my question:  Was the study not at least controlled experiment at the
most basic level?  I find it hard to believe that Nature editors and
reviewers would allow this.  Surely the 40% mortality, or whatever the figure
was, is compared to an identical population not feeding on dusted hostplant?
It is not an absolute value without reference, right?

As long as there was a control, then this is an interesting point to
consider, but IMHO probably not a critical flaw to the experiment IF ALL ELSE
FOLLOWED LOGICAL SCIENTIFIC METHODOLOGY.  And if there wasn't, well did
someone already say "hogwash?"

Perhaps other appropriate control(s) in this experiment would have been to
dust the milkweed with the insecticide(s) the Bt replaced.  I bet they all
would have croaked, healthy or not.  Then again, for a few bucks or perhaps a
friendly challenge, someone could work out the toxicity limits and exposure
limits you all have pointed out are sadly lacking.

By the way, isn't butterfly count data (Monarch Watch, NABA/Xerces) available
that could be analyzed without additional investment, comparing areas planted
with the corn vs. not last year, or is this not available yet?

Probably by the time the experiment is done, the corn breeders will already
have improved varieties in which the Bt insecticide is only released in the
tissue the major Lepidopteran pests attack.  I understand that this doesn't
include the pollen...

Best wishes

Doug Dawn
Monterrey, Mexico