Mystery caterpillar; please help identify

Pierre A Plauzoles ae779 at lafn.org
Mon May 24 03:55:44 EDT 1999

Hello.

I was up in the Angeles National Forest today and saw a strange looking
hatchling (?) caterpillar about 4 mm long on bigleaf maple (Acer
macrophyllum).  It has no spines and seems not to have hair pencils,
although it does have two hair tufts (so far, not four like tussock
moths).  Unlike the tussock moths I have seen so far, the body and hair
are jet black.  The hair (I use the term to distinguish from spines) are
irregular in both length and straightness, although there are two
distinct lengths of hair: short (~1 mm) in the tufts and also dispersed
throughout the body, and long (3 mm+), quite of the long hair being
somewhat crooked.  The tufts are quite dense, and directly in front of
the first one is a dull yellowish gray dorsocentral dot; another brighter
one is located over the second to last pair of false legs.  The first dot
goes about two thirds of the back second dot going all the way across the
back.

Like I said, it was observed in the Angeles National Forest on Acer
macropyllum.  The location is along SR 2 about 5.3 miles north of I-210
at about 2850 feet elevation.  This is on the south side of the San
Gabriel Mountains.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate some pointers as to where to
find some information on this critter.

Thank you all.
Pierre Plauzoles   ae779 at lafn.org
Canoga Park, California