Monarchs and the Bt Transgenic Corn Pollen Scare

Stelenes at aol.com Stelenes at aol.com
Mon May 24 16:49:26 EDT 1999

I felt the same way after reading the original post.  The scientific method
does not include purposeful misleading of public opinion to support a
particular researcher's point.  That science does not belong in any peer
reviewed, respected scientific printing.  Sounds a lot like cheating on a
test to me to get a passing grade (a new grant, in this case).  Don't get me
wrong, I am not advocating a blind eye to industry.

Don't scientists outside their research circles have an ethical
responsibility in a situation like this to not misguide public opinion which
is not solely fact based?  Isn't the scientist the supposedly only one the
public can depend upon to give an unbiased view of the science to the public,
and should this not be violated?

Supposedly industry has questionable motives, according to Doug Yanega, but
in this case, some very established companies are going to be careful not to
risk bankrupcy if they are later found to be liable, and put all of their GMO
programs at risk, while Paul has pointed out that academicians could possibly
benefit from this misinformation for personal benefit - more research money,
publications financed by potentially industry, based on an unreasonable
assumptions.

Given all these unfortunate potential motives, shouldn't we all pull together
to support the reality based science of the type Paul started in his 1 to 5%
upper end of the mortality calculation, or should we let emotions take over
to potentially determine the fate of an entire industry of some of our most
talented molecular biologists and plant breeders?

Doug Dawn.
Monterrey, Mexico
Davis, California