Interesting stuff from Laredo, TX

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed May 26 13:16:16 EDT 1999

Well, this is old news already, but back on May 16 I explored some areas
north of Laredo, TX, and enjoyed extensive butterfly activity under an
otherwise dark and gray cloud cover.  It is amazing to me how much activity
there is down in SoTX even when there is little sunshine.  The humidity must
be a factor, because out West, high temperatures alone don't seem sufficient
for butterfly activity.  I've never experienced the extent of cloudy day
activity that I have when visiting the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

In addition to butterflies, I had a few other interesting insect encounters.
The first occurred on a remote section of the highway, where I noticed
something which appeared to be a beetle moving in the road.  I pulled over
to inspect, and what I saw was a first for me.  Two beetles (black and
squatty, about 2.5 cm long) were attached to a small sphere - with a 3 cm
diameter - made of what looked like dried dirt.  The sphere was as perfect
as anything I have ever seen, and at first appeared to be man-made.  One of
the beetles was standing on the sphere, motionless, while the other beetle
was attached by it's hind legs, it's body turned around and it's head and
fore legs on the ground.  In a very deliberate and constant motion, the
second beetle was rolling the sphere at an impressive velocity by pushing
backwards with it's fore legs.  The rolling motion caused the first beetle
to spin with the sphere, but never did the sphere actually roll over on top
of the first beetle.  I grabbed a piece of paper, and allowed the beetle to
roll the ball onto it, and then transplanted them all over to the side of
the road.  When I laid them down, at first they became disoriented and
walked away from the sphere.  But after a few seconds, they relocated it and
continued their journey.  What a strange thing!  I'm assuming the sphere was
some sort of egg case?  I dunno, but it was cool.  I found another similar
beetle close by, and picked it up - only to be blasted by an offensive odor.
I suppose these beetles are just another in the family of "stink bugs",
although they were new to me.

I also enjoyed a hitchhiking walking stick - a little immature (about 6 cm),
and still very green.  I love these insects.

I also saw a few impressive larvae, one which I know I've seen before but
didn't have a field guide handy.  It was large (over 5 cm) and red with long
tentacle-like appendages.

All of the butterflies I reported seeing in the Pharr, TX area on Saturday,
May 15, were seen in the Laredo area.  In addition to those many species
(repeated below), I enjoyed finding several others:

Junonia coenia (Buckeye)
Danaus gilippus (Queen)
Systasea pulverulenta (Texas Powdered Skipper)

Battus philenor (Pipevine Swallowtail) -very common
Papilio cresphontes (Giant Swallowtail) - common
Colias cesonia (Southern Dogface)
Phoebis sennae (Cloudless Sulpher)
Phoebis philea (Orange-barred Sulpher)
Phoebis agarithe (Large Orange Sulpher)
Kricognia lyside (Lyside Sulpher) - very common
Eurema daira (Barred Yellow)
Eurema boisduvaliana (Boisduval's Yellow)
Eurema lisa (Little Yellow)
Eurema nicippe (Sleepy Orange)
Nathalis iole (Dainty Sulpher)
Strymon columella (Mallow Scrub Hairstreak)
Brephidium exile (Western Pygmy Blue)
Hemiargus ceraunus (Ceraunus Blue) - common
Calephelis nemesis (Fatal Metalmark) - common
Libytheana carinenta (American Snout)
Agraulis vanillae (Gulf Fritillary)
Euptoieta claudia (Variegated Fritillary) - common
Chlosyne lacinia (Bordered Patch)
Phyciodes texana (Texan Crescentspot)
Phyciodes vesta (Vesta Crescentspot)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Junonia coenia (Common Buckeye)
Asterocampa leilia (Empress Leilia)
Urbanus procne (Brown Longtail, I assume)
Copaeodes sp? (Some skipperling)
Pyrgus communis (Common Checkered Skipper)
Pyrgus oileus (Tropical Checkered Skipper)