larvae sleeves/collecting/photography

WILLIAM OEHLKE - 420 Oehlkew at montagueint.edu.pe.ca
Wed May 26 19:50:58 EDT 1999

Catch a few butterflies.  Let the females ovaposit on host foliage
under protection of rearing sleeves.  Study larvae and perfect
specimen adults from your own stock and then release some healthy,
indigenous stock back into environment.
I don't maintain a collection, but I rear thousands of
butterflies, sphingidae and saturniidae annually just from a few
captured females (butterflies and sphingidae) and from reared female
saturniidae mated with wild males. I've never seen a decline in
populations here on P.E.I., Canada, that wasn't related to weather or
destruction of habitat.
Interesting, but you can actually scan live larvae and mounted
specimens with surprisingly good results. Visit
http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/oehlkew
and go to LIVESTOCK FOR SALE to access price list of rearing sleeves.
Bill Oehlke
Box 476
Montague,P.E.I., Canada, C0A 1R0
Phone: 902-838-3455 H; 902-838-0860 W