bugs verses beetles

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 19:28:53 EDT 1999

Marks dung beetle bugs brings an intersting thought to mind.  I tend to get
a large number of squash bugs in the garden during the summer.  They
especially like the zuchinni.  While to my uneducated eye, bugs seem in many
ways to be like bettles (although I suppose more angular than rounded,) I
would swear that bugs produce some rather noxious oders as well.

For example, I thought I'd found the perfect solution to my bug problem when
we discovered that praying mantis will eat meat bees (which are I suppose
technically not bees.)  So out to the garden Leafy went with me.  She seemed
quite excited at first but after a few bits of one squash bug, stopped
eating and then remained very still the rest of the day.  Never again would
she touch a squash bug.  So much for my organic solution!  Ah well, good
thing I don't really care for much zuchinni myself.  Eat your lil heart out
guys.

Laurel
In finally sunny San Jose, CA