Interesting stuff from Laredo, TX

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed May 26 21:47:03 EDT 1999

Well, I've received many responses id'ing my ball rolling beetle friends.
Thanks to all.  I'm still amazed at how perfect a sphere they formed out of
... well, you know.  I mean, we're talking a perfect ball here.  That's
incredible, really.  What is additionally fascinating, is that the beetles
had discovered (and was benefiting from) the smooth surface of the road.
Still, when I moved the beetles off of the road (incidentally, Anne, I just
moved them a few feet in the direction they were already heading - I didn't
like the idea that I was standing in the middle of the road during my
observation), the ball rolling seemed to be pretty effective over uneven
ground and small plants.

Doug wrote (as did several others) regarding the large caterpillar:

Could it have been a _Battus_ larva? But I'd suppose you'd recognize one?

Actually, I wouldn't have recognized it (other than it being familiar),
having never seen one in person.  I'm fairly sure that it was a Battus
larva, although it was solid red and had longer appendages than the typical
B. philenor (this butterfly is currently flying by the millions in Texas).
I have no idea what B. polydamas larvae look like.

Mark Walker.