Cornell Report - Industry Response

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 26 10:46:39 EDT 1999

>Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:41:23 -0500

>  This is difficult for someone without legal background to comprehend.
>Do we have to wait for our (common) assets to be damaged before we can sue
the offender for damages? Can we anticipate expected damage and sue for an
injunction not to damage? Are our (common) assets unprotected against
accidents generated by private enterprise? Under Napoleonic Law engineers
and geologists have been charged with the death of villagers drowned by the
collapse of a dam which the geologists had advised on and the engineers had
sited (Northern Italy). Under American law we have a different history of
corporate and professional liability. What will international law look like
in the case of the Canadian-US-Mexican-claimed monarch if it is adversely
affected by change in private agricultural practices?