Del Rio, TX - May 21

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu May 27 18:04:31 EDT 1999

Paul wrote:

You never seem to see Danaids Mark. If you are making this CA to TX trip
again you might drive north of Las Cruces, NM along the Rio Grande
River. Take some side roads off the main road and look in and around the
irrigated horse pastures. Asclepias subverticillata is common in such
settings are should attract Monarchs and Queens.
The milkweed stands out in the pastures because the livestock won't eat
it.

Actually, in the last several weeks of road tripping from California to
Texas and back, I have seen exactly three Danaids.  All were Queens.  All
were in the LRV.  Definitely not what I expected.

I enjoyed an afternoon walking down in the Pecos River valley, and didn't
see any Monarchs or Queens.  Could be a lack of milkweed - I wasn't really
looking for it.

Mark Walker.