New Iowa State Study on Effects of Bt Corn Pollen on Monarch Larvae

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Sun May 30 03:48:50 EDT 1999

At last, some actual facts.
Seems to me that, whatever they sprayed on that corn, it would make
things unpleasant for the monarchs and their relatives. Malathion?
Diazinon?
I find myself more concerned with the notion that the Bt pollen will
spread its genetic load to all the corn ... the cat, in other words,
would be out of the bag.
Does corn pollen, I wonder, affect other grasses? After all, you can't
grow squashes and melons together, because the melons take on the flavor
of the squash.
And I find myself suddenly in favor of the dreaded Terminator Gene, if
only it is possible to limit its effect to the plants modified to
receive it.
(Background music ... The Sorcerer's Apprentice. Starring Mickey Mouse.)
The speckled wood has staked out the front garden, where there is only
enough sunlight for himself ... none for the green-veined white.
Woody lays his wings together and turns edge-on as  I approach, thus
vanishing.  Formidable, I am.
And yet the rain marches down the mountain, disregarding my plans for
the day.
Enjoy your butterflies
Anne Kilmer
Mayo