Junonia coenia

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 19:29:04 EST 1999

Dex Hinkley wrote:

While birding at the Occoquan National Wildlife Refuge, 12 miles
south of Washington, DC, this morning, I saw numerous Buckeyes.
Paul Opler, in his excellent Peterson's Guide to Eastern Butterflies
says they "cannot survive freezing temperatures in any stage"
but are "excellent colonists."  Two questions: are buckeyes
numerous elsewhere right now?  Can they survive a light frost
(which we have already had in suburban Virginia)?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Dex Hinckley
703-354-1342

Response:

I grew up with a net in my hand in the frigid north of Cleveland, Ohio. The
winter of 1962 set a record cold on 16 December, 19 degrees below zero. Now
in my book, that's "freeze your ass off kind of cold" (considering I now live
in Florida). On 12 June 1963 I collected several individuals of Junonia coenia
 in Cuyahoga County, in Humphrey's Field across the street from Euclid Beach
Amusement Park (anyone older than 40 from Cleveland will remember Euclid
Beach). I still have three specimens in my collection. Winters in Cleveland
always bring a good hard freeze and in early summer they were always present
in Humphrey's Field. It is a long way to fly up north from the frost proof
south.

I believe that they survive the winter, even in Cleveland, Ohio.

Leroy C. Koehn
78 degrees today in Lake Worth, Florida (You won't freeze your ass off in
this weather!!!!!)