chemical safety during preparation

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Nov 13 06:17:44 EST 1999

Jim Kruse describes getting a serious headache from using xylene, even
in a well-ventilated space.  It's not clear why some people seem more
sensitive to solvents at levels that others tolerate, but it's certainly
adequate reason for substituting a less hazardous or less unpleasant
material.  It may have to do with some vasoconstrictive response mediate
by olfaction (such people tend to respond to a number of volatiles the
same way). Or it may not!

I remember not liking xylene when we used it for cleaning microscope
slides. It made me use as little as possible as infrequently as
possible.

Mike Gochfeld