AZ hoofin (11/15-11/19)

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Nov 22 00:39:28 EST 1999

A business week with the 11th signal corps at Ft. Huachuca, AZ, allowed for
some interesting side trips.  The weather all week in SE AZ was unseasonably
warm.  The rabbitbrush that Hank Brodkin discussed here a week earlier is
still happening in a few isolated locations.  The small gullies and
streambeds in and around Tombstone are particularly good.  The species list
was almost as extensive as Hank described, but it does seem to be slowing
down a bit.  Of those he listed for 11/10, all were still on the wing except
for the Mournful Duskywing and the Lyside Sulphur.  At least one of the
Buckeyes I saw was of the form nigrosuffusa.  The most common butterflies in
the lowlands were the Checkered Skippers, Dainty Sulphurs, and American
Painted Ladies.

There was still a lot of activity up in Garden Canyon, also.  Lots of
Mexican Sulphurs (Eurema mexicana).  Also Adelpha bredowii still common.
The Nabokov's Satyr (Cyllopsis pyracmon) is still flopping about, though
clearly on it's last wing.  I did manage to find a rather tattered Colorado
Hairstreak (Hypaurotis crysalus) nectaring on the few remaining blossoms, as
well.  Also, a lone Battus philenor still on the wing.  There were several
Celastrina still flying - and still looking rather fresh.  It cooled off at
higher elevations, but was still comfortable at midday (mid 70s F).

On Friday, I drove up into the Catalina Mountains.  Not nearly as much
activity up there, although there was an absolute explosion of Texan
Crescentspots (Phyciodes texana).  All very fresh.  I also found the Fatal
Metalmark still flying at 4000' alongside many Acmon Blues (are they
Lupine?).

I drove on to roads end (approx. 8000', near Ski Valley), and was amazed to
find the Chiracahua Pine White (Neophasia terlooti) still on the wing.  Most
were pretty worn, and only two females were spotted, but the males were
fairly common between 12:00 and 2:00 p.m. (I counted well over 20).  After
about 1:30, they all but vanished into the upper pine trees.  I also found a
Proterpia Sulphur (Eurema proterpia) at 8000'.  A much different habitat
than where I was catching them down near Tombstone.  Zerene cesonia was also
fairly numerous at altitude, along with Reakirts Blues.

I may have the pleasure of spending another week out at the Fort in
December.  Maybe winter will finally settle in.

Mark Walker