BISTON BETULARIA

Glenn A. Gorelick GGorelick at citrus.cc.ca.us
Tue Nov 23 15:32:13 EST 1999

While artificial,  Kettlewell's experiments involved

1) the marking of the undersides of the primaries (using a fine brush) of
all subject moths with a spot of colored dye for later analysis  and

2) the placing of both dark and light forms on polluted and non-polluted
tree trunks. The robins selected those specimens that were visible to them.

     This moth is found in such hardwood forests and exhibits the behavior
duplicated during the experiments.  The genus Biston occurs in eastern North
America as well, but not being much of a mother at this stage, (that's
moth-er, folks..)I know neither the species nor the ranges and hosts.

     I apparently missed the original question here dealing with
creationists' interpretation/disagreement regarding the reliability of these
data...

     Perhaps some observant creationist will choose to enlighten us by
providing some EVIDENCE that disproves the significance of H.B.D.
Kettlewell's works. There are abundant forests for careful observations,
perhaps free of pollution (and evolutionists as well).  The trunks may
easily be darkened or polluted for study purposes,if necessary, as may be
their findings and conclusions.

Glenn A. Gorelick
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Citrus College