BISTON BETULARIA:experiment

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 23 20:38:55 EST 1999

I haven't looked at the Kettlewell papers since graduate school. I think
that the moths were placed on substrates from which predators could
choose, and the results were consistent with the hypothesis that the
dark moths were cryptically colored on sooty substrates, hence they
COULD be favored by selection.  The experiment was used to test an
hypothesis based on observations. The results were consistent with the
hypothesis. I don't think anyone suggested that the Robins used in the
experiment were actually the forces of natural selection.
	Whether there are other hypotheses with which the results might
be equally consistent is another matter.  I don't think that such has
been postulated.  However, I remember the experiments coming under
attack for other methodologic reasons. Nonetheless, it was very
influential work, with some very cooperative predators.

M. Gochfeld