Thankful - 11/25-26

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Nov 29 22:44:20 EST 1999

Leroy Koehn wrote:

> Don't you just hate a reminiscing old fool!

Nope!

San Luis Obispo County, CA:

What a glorious Thanksgiving weekend here in California.  I spent the
weekend with family up on the central coast (sorry, borderline SoWest).  The
weather was surprisingly warm, and there were many, many butterflies on the
wing.

In the Monterrey Pines of Cambria, CA - 11/25/99

Out for a walk with my wife.  The overwintering Monarchs are in full swing.
Hundreds upon hundreds could be found gliding aloft, and the flowers were
covered with them.  I saw many mating pairs - often in flight (which is a
sight in and of itself).  Although clearly overwhelming all other species,
this was not the only butterfly enjoying the weather.  Five species were
found nectaring:

Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)
Vanessa annabella (West Coast Lady)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Coenonympha tullia (California Ringlet)
Danaus plexippus (Monarch)

Madonna Mountain - 11/26/99

Hiking with my father, a big surprise to see the Dogface flying towards the
top of this chaparral covered "mountain".  It was a beautiful male, to boot.
On top we found 2 dozen Red Admirals engaging in various sorts of
territorial battle.  Lots of Ringlets flying in the lower grasses.

Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Zerene eurydice (California Dogface)
Coenonympha tullia (California Ringlet)

Hope yours was equally thanksgivingful.