Looking for Leps

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 13 20:44:05 EDT 1999

---------------->
> mtb wrote:
> >
> > I am working at the University of Florida, and am interested in using
> > the gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar) and saltmarsh caterpillar
> > (Estigmene acrea) for some pathogenesis experiments.

In areas where ecologically dangerous study organisms such as gypsy moth
do not occur officially (Florida is officially uninfested), there is a
USDA requirement to have a permitted quarantine facility which is
inspected regularly. I think/hope Alison or her major professor know this.
I have reared thousands, if not, tens of thousands in the UW Madison
quarantine facility, and if they are built correctly (negative pressure
blowers, double doors, etc) there is virtually no danger of accidental
release. Some may not find any of this comforting.

Cheers!
Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.
Div. of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
Berkeley, California, 94720-3112
Voice: (510) 642-7410    Fax: (510) 642-7428
http://nature.Berkeley.EDU/sperlinglab/kruse.html