Need to ID a fat green caterpillar for kid's project!

jaynine captainj9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 07:29:59 EDT 1999

Omygosh! You're right; I didn't give you any geography to work with;
sorry! We're in Tulsa, OK.

We have been quite careful not to handle the specimen except by letting
it crawl onto things. Unfortunately, the project calls for it to be
deceased, so we can't find out what it likes to eat by trial and error,
for example. (My son is bringing it to school today.) It also had begun
to weave itself a 'hammock' (not a pupa case YET), so we felt we needed
to hurry before the specimen became suddenly harder to handle and
identify. The project description called for it to be frozen as a
method of execution, then soft-bodied insects such as itself to be
preserved in a jar of alcohol.

After a careful reading of the instructions, it turns out that the
identification is not *essential* to the project; just enhances the
educational content. So this will give me time to go try to look this
one up. Nonetheless, if you think you know what it is, I would
appreciate the hint!

Thanks for your reply!

***j9***