Nectaring

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Tue Sep 21 18:07:20 EDT 1999

That wasn't a copy editor, Mike, it was a real editor. There's a
difference. I have been both, and I know.
Copy editors can be buffaloed, but there is no cowing an editor. He/she
runs the show.
It is possible to educate copy editors unless they have a style book.
Alas, usually they do. And the style book does not extend into our areas
of study.
I say to nectar is a verb, and I say you use it whatever the butterfly
is sipping; being  a fly kissing carrion or whatever. But getting this
information into the dictionaries is the problem.
Perhaps we should appeal to William Safire for help. He's a smart
fellow.
If he commits suicide, we will know whom to blame.
Cheers
Anne Kilmer
South Florida